Saturday, February 12, 2005

SupportGuy: Justin, thank you for contacting McAfee Online Support Center. How can I assist you with your McAfee software today?
Me: when i open some other application, mcshield.exe has a tendency to crash. i was wondering if you'd think a fresh install would help.
SG: Justin, if I understand correctly, you have an issue regarding error with mcshield. Is this correct?
Me: that's correct
[provide version information, registration, problem specifics]
SG: Did the software come on a CD or was it a download from the Internet?
Me: downloaded off the internet. (provided by my employer)
[more problem specifics]
SG: Based on the information you have provided, I can now provide the steps that should resolve your issue. If at any time there is something you do not understand, will you please stop me and let me know?
Me: definitely
SG: It seems that the corrupt files of VirusScan are conflicting and thus you need to manually uninstall / reinstall as part of a troubleshooting strategy so that your issue is resolved.
Me: that was my guess
SG: I am going to send you some instructions that will open in a new window on your screen. Please let me know when you have received these instructions. The agent is sending you to http://tools.mcafeehelp.com/doc.php?siteid=1&docid=71541&support=ts. (instructions entitled "How do I Uninstall VirusScan?")
[I uninstall software]
Me: how do i reinstall it?
SG: Did the software come on a CD or was it a download from the Internet?
Me: downloaded. i no longer have access to the file.
SG: Justin, Please click on Start-->Search--> For files and folders in the field type VS*.EXE and look in: local hard drives and then click on Search now to search for the file .
Me: i only find irrelevant files.
SG: Did you found any file for VirusScan?
Me: no.
SG: This issue or concern is supported by our Customer Service group. You may call 866-622-3911(US Toll Free), select the option that best meets your needs, and they will be able to assist you. You may also email us at Customer_Service_NA@mcafee.com. Customer Service Deptt. is open from 5 AM to 5 PM (PST). Saturday and Sunday closed.
Me: so basically i've just uninstalled virusscan without being able to reinstall it until at least monday?
SG: Justin, you need to wait till Monday.
Me: great. thanks.
SG: As they closed on Saturday and Sunday.
SG: I would like to ensure you're satisfied with the support I offered. Is there anything else I may assist you with today?
Me: i suppose not since i don't have any mcafee products installed anymore!
That was a total waste of an hour. I suppose it's my fault for not using a little more common sense before uninstalling. But I'd still like to blame it on him for a) not even asking me if I had a copy of the installer; b) making me lose patience by taking forever to respond; c) make me act impetuously because he was talking to me like a little kid. Ok, so it really is all my fault.

No comments: