Wednesday, December 8, 2004

I've seen my fair share of crazies on the bus. There was once this guy that kept on laughing aloud. He intermittently subdued himself, probably with some uber-serious thought, but then his mania would once again seize him not a moment later. There was also this woman who, on a separate bus trip, that kept on swearing and yelling at thin air. Whatever she was upset about, she certainly was pissed. Unfortunately, she sat at the front of the bus and I was at the back so I never figured out what was bothering her. I'm sure it was something that would have been entertaining though--at least for the first few minutes.

Just yesterday, I was waiting for the 35 bus at the corner of 35th and Wisconsin, downwind from the Miller Brewing Company plant. There was an odd aroma in the air. Usually, it smelt like yeast, but yesterday, it reminded me of something different. I combed my memory for any traces of that scent, and I finally found it. For some reason, it smelt like alfalfa and I was pleasantly reminded of my Grade 6 class pet, Thumper. He was such an adorable thing, and one week I got to take him home. He wasn't allowed to run around the house, but I'd still visit him in his little cage. I'd feed him dried alfalfa sprouts and carrots. One time we let him out on the porch and watch him explore and...

Then I caught what I was doing. I was saying the name "Thumper" aloud to myself over and over in an endearing tone, as if I were playing with him at the bus stop. I glanced around quickly and was relieved to see that no one was within earshot. Somehow all those crazies on the bus don't seem nearly as crazy anymore.

No comments: