I have finally been able to enjoy something that millions of office workers around North American take for granted. At the Center for Urban Population Health, where I work part-time, I make heavy use of the water cooler. Now, at first consideration this may not be a big thing. But to me, it is.
The first time I saw someone head to the water cooler and then stay for a little chat with someone else who was there, I was left speechless. I thought that "water cooler" references people made were just a figure of speech. I hadn't realized that people actually used water coolers in real life. Consequently, I followed suit and headed also to the water cooler. And I felt liberated. I felt in control of my day, able to go take a short break whenever I wanted as long as I was getting stuff done. I felt social, able to chat it up with coworkers without the guilt of not working looming above me. I even felt more human, able to leisurely sip water whenever I wanted and even so at my desk. (This is also the first time I've ever had my own desk space, outside the context of elementary school.)
And so from that point on, I got up about every 15-20 minutes to head to the water cooler to get more water. I took pleasure in it each time, anticipating and then savouring each gloop gloop sound while I watched my little Styrofoam cup fill. Despite repeated trips to the restroom, I had so much water that day that I actually felt sick--sick but contented at least.
No comments:
Post a Comment