Wednesday, March 15, 2006
My long-awaited Christmas present has finally arrived. For the past two months or so, I've waited. As the mailman makes his rounds each day, I sit patiently at my desk waiting for the splat of paper outside my door. On most days, the front door opens and closes without a splat, meaning I didn't get any mail that didn't fit in my mailbox--or, in other words, all junk mail and bills. And when that precious splat sounds, I've eagerly rushed to my door, excited to check what lies on the mat. Today I was handsomely rewarded for all my patience. I received my first issue of Harper's Magazine (a.k.a. "the magazine that reads more like a textbook"). I gingerly opened the cover and perused page by page, soaking up the words and digesting the sentences for their meaning. I've only made it through the Harper's Index and one article so far (entitled "Liberalism, Torture, and the Ticking Bomb") but it's been good reading. All the time at work, I was thinking about reading the rest of the issue; I cursed myself for not having brought it with me to read while there. It's just that crazy how excited I am to have this. And to think I still have issue after issue left... Thanks, R!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment