Monday, May 9, 2005

When I was much younger, I used to relish the idea of carrying a pager. My father occasionally took call and I would always pray for his pager to beep so I could see him jump into action: he'd rush to the nearest payphone and avert whatever crises seemed imminent at his company. It made me think of him as a powerful person, an invaluable person critical to the functioning of his company. For the first time in my life, I carried a pager this weekend and I realized how far from reality my childhood perceptions were. Instead of feeling powerful, I felt enchained; although I alone was accountable for completing the work to be done, I felt more like a drudge
than an invaluable team member. It's not that I mind taking call as it gives me something to do over the weekend. (And also, the pay makes it very worthwhile.) It just goes to show that life is so much rosier and less stressful when you're a kid!

No comments: