Monday, May 2, 2005
I hate being on a punch clock. No, that's too weak a sentiment: I absolutely abhor having to use the punch clock, constantly being in fear of punching in too late, punching in too early, punching out too late, punching out too early. It's absolutely stupid that that's the most important critically scrutinized part of work logistics. Living so close to work, getting here on time is only a problem because I get here too early. And today was no exception, as I again arrived at work early. Being how I am, I like to just dive in and start getting stuff done. The hitch is that starting early is a problem because I keep on forgetting to punch in. I can't punch in earlier because that would against the rules as well. God forbid people have flexibility in their schedules! I approached my supervisor today to ask for suggestions and basically the answer I got was this: It's my fault for being here early, I deserve the late punch on my record, and there's no recourse for the penalty of ambitiously getting an early start on work. (In fact, she said, that there's absolutely no reason I should even be in the lab earlier than I am supposed to.) I suppose I can accept that this is my fault, but the part that really irks me is how the system really works. Some people punch in on time and then socialize for half an hour; that's acceptable--and in fact preferred because there are no late punches on the record. Just when I think I like my job, I always find some way to muck up that sentiment. I was complaining to a co-worker of mine. He said that I like drama and that's why I'm complaining. Then again, he also said that I'm a social butterfly with ADD...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment