Wednesday, March 9, 2005

When I was at work today, the supply delivery guy drops a box from about a meter in the air on to the ground. I was about 5 feet away, carefully trying to aliquot my serum into tiny little tubes when the great big THUD startled me. I almost dropped the tubes I was holding. But I didn't, so I said with a half-smile, "You scared the crap out of me!" The guy turns around and walks away muttering something. I thought he had said "Good." The person across the bench from me, incidentally the director of the lab I work in, asked me what the delivery guy had said. Neither he nor I were too sure what he said, but we both agreed that it sounded a lot more like "good" than "sorry." The director went to chew out the delivery guy and the delivery guy comes back looking all worried: "That box was really heavy and I didn't say anything." That's total BS because a) the box wasn't heavy and b) the words I heard didn't just come from nowhere. Two minutes later he's back for signatures and he's all obsequious: "Could I have your signature, please? I might be back with another box, ok?" I called him on his bluff about the weight of the box and he says (rather defensively), "Well, it was heavy for me..." Now, I don't know if I should be offended or flattered. Either he lied straight to my face or that box was actually heavy to him but not to me. As much as I'd like to think the latter were true, something tells me that the former is probably a littler closer to the truth. Oh well.

No comments: