I remember when I was a kid in elementary school, I was shrimpy. Towering a whole 4' (123cm) even in Grade 6, I was far from menacing. When it came to gym class, I'll admit I wasn't first to get picked for teams. I wasn't second either, or third for that matter. In fact, I was often the one who got to pick people so I wouldn't need to feel left out when only the "losers" remained. I was uncoordinated too. I remember very long games (for me) of twenty-one because I could never get the basketball through that damn hoop. I tried hard and even diligently practised when others weren't looking but I never got any better. I remember playing flag football once in gym class. The only play I made was a touchdown where my whole team huddled around me (thus protecting my flags) as I walked the football down the field. I couldn't catch anything that was thrown at me.
Today when I was in my classmate's office, she asked me if I wanted to play tennis. I suggested that other people might be more interested. She brushed off my comment and asked again. Eventually I said I didn't know how to play tennis. She thought I was just being modest. I reassured her that I really don't know how to play. And after a pause... You really don't play tennis? She wanted someone that would present a challenging game for her and she thought that person was me. Now I was curious why--in spite of even suggesting people that might be a much more suitable match--she would think that she might enjoy playing with me, someone who doesn't know the first thing about tennis. Then came the shocker: she thought I'd be good because I'm athletic. Wow, me, athletic. I think that was the first time in my life I've been referred to as such--at least in seriousness, anyway.
So what's changed since being that scrawny little kid in Grade 6? Physically, not all that much. I only became not "underweight" (according to standards set by the National Heart, Lung & Blood Institute) just over a year ago. Even still, I'm definitely pretty far from menacing. I'm just as uncoordinated as I was then, too. I remember bonking my head on a utility box while I was walking down the street not too long ago. I still can't catch. I'm much better at not cowering when things approach my face but the approaching object seldom ends up in my hands. As for real sports, I don't think I've shot a basketball or played football since--I'm pretty sure there's no pleasant surprise that awaits me if I do.
Really, what has changed? I think a lot of it is the company I keep. First off, I currently reside in a state where 62.3% of the population is at least overweight (BRFSS 2007 data). A full quarter of the population here is obese. I'm talking about the American definition of obese, not the Chinese one (courtesy of the Chinese Ministry of Public Health, which has a lower BMI cutoff). With all the cheese and custard this state has to offer, finding someone twice my weight isn't exactly a difficult task. Secondly, I'm surrounded by oft hardworking grad students. Although I'm in the Department of Population Health (a.k.a. Preventive Medicine), we're much better at studying things than making sure we do them ourselves. It's not surprising when we students--the peons of the academic world--end up placing more emphasis on getting our work done than making sure we get in that half hour of cardio 5 times a week the AHA recommends. In short, I guess athleticism is all relative. And for once, I'm considered athletic. You bet I'm going to relish it while it lasts.
No comments:
Post a Comment