Monday, June 30, 2008

I often remember my dreams at night. I dreamt that a particular friend I hadn't seen or heard from in a very long time came to visit me. The conversation we had was rather pedestrian but I enjoyed it anyway. It was just like old times: talking about anything and just enjoying each other's company. He asked about how school was going for me. We talked about how best to grill ribeye steaks. He invited me to go to McDonald's with him the following Tuesday. I asked him why we hadn't kept in touch, why he never responded to my Facebook messages. He replied that he had sent me letters all the time and I had never written back. Not having received any, I was incredulous when I heard that. Maybe he just had the wrong address.

In real life, all these years, I have felt resentment--he had been a good friend of mine. I even feel slightly betrayed at times when I try to figure out why we never stayed in touch. Perhaps there's some guilt mixed in there as well since I think maybe he does not want to reconnect. Whether it was my fault or his, whatever circumstances have led to how things ended up, I still miss him. Sometimes my dreams are realistic and sometimes they aren't; unfortunately, last night's dream was probably less realistic than the more bizarre dreams I've had.

No comments: