Friday, October 21, 2005

I hate being bummed out. A friend of a friend was supposed to stay with me for four weeks, starting Monday, as he completed a radiation oncology rotation at Froedtert Hospital. I didn't find out for sure that he was coming until yesterday afternoon, when I got a brief email from him. So I sprang into action: I called my property manager to see if I could get an extra bed and an extra set of keys. I like having company and so this was pretty exciting to me. I was even more excited when I got a voice mail from him last night further introducing himself. Despite a slight hiccup this morning (my property manager forgot she was already busy and couldn't get me the bed until few hours later), everything seemed to be working out. I got the bed set up and made and the extra keys were waiting for me at the hospital security office. And then I decided to call him this evening at around 6pm to see if I could get further details. I had called him earlier in the day but he hadn't answered his phone so I was delighted when he picked up. It turns out that he won't be staying with me after all. He found someone closer to the hospital, apparently right after he called last night. It's understandable to want to be closer to work; after all, I do live just down the street and it's wonderfully convenient. But I truly am bummed out: I was really looking forward to having a roommate. I guess now I get a choice of beds when it comes to where I want to sleep. The new one even has a box spring--how exciting.

No comments: