Thursday, August 19, 2004

I never thought that a simple trip to the supermarket could bring so much glee. I wasn't even hungry when I went, but I just had to check out the new supermarket that opened across the street from where I live. And what a supermarket it is!! The produce section was awash in wave after wave of glistening greens and vibrant reds. Even the potatoes--how can dirt brown look good?--seemed appealing, as a chosen few were lavishly robed in aluminum foil as ornamentation. They had every type of fruit and vegetable I could think of, and many more whose existence I had never contemplated. There were donut peaches, pluots (a type of plum, I think), lychees--even of endive alone there were 3 or 4 types. And the samples! Little cubes of fresh pineapple mingled in a pool of juice, each just waiting to explode in saccharine exuberance. I couldn't stop at one piece.

"Today's organic count: 108 products" marked the end of the luscious produce--the bakery was next. There was so much bread; every shade of brown imaginable was involved in the bread mosaic that lined the bakery counter. One bite of the pumpernickel raisin bread and I was hooked. The slight sweetness of the raisins punctuated the complex nutty flavour of the grains, yet each element was not overcome by the other: together, their contrasting textures teased the tongue into wilful submission. Such savoury indulgences were gratified no less with the parsley loaf. Bread's next-door neighbour was seafood: lobsters frolicked in their tank while Alaskan king crab, shrimp and perfectly aligned filets delicately basked on a glassy bed of ice cubes.

The Asian food section was markedly disappointed at first sight, given the supermarket's obvious attempt to please. But further examination proved that it had not been totally neglected. Dried seaweed, red bean paste, almond tofu, Korean instant noodles graced the normal complement of sauces. Anyway, Asian food wasn't their emphasis: the aisle was labelled "Hispanic, German, Polish foods." The rest of the aisles were a blur, as I was already wowed beyond the capacity for recollection. Even peanut butter wasn't just peanut butter: the options of almond butter and cashew butter were also offered. Bottled water ran the entire length of one aisle and spilled over onto the other side.

Finally, I had to go to the check out: my cheeks were tiring from supporting the smile for so long. I opted for enrolment in the "Pay by touch" programme, billed as safer than cash, faster than cheques, easier than cards. Each register is equipped with a biometric scanner. One fingerprint and 2 PINs later, things were paid for. (My impulse purchases were a loaf of the pumpernickel raisin bread and a pint of fresh organic carrot juice.) I can't wait to go grocery shopping again--who cares if I don't actually need anything?

No comments: