Monday, May 11, 2009

I walked home this evening exhausted by my thoughts. Physically and emotionally drained, I plodded down Brooks St.--Park St. was too overwhelming for my feebleness--with my head vacant of all things except the music piped in by my earphones, nestled deep in my ears to drown out the outside world. At times like these, I need to listen to music that comforts me. That takes many forms; tonight it was Deja Entendu from Brand New. As I was nearing home, the lyrics to the last song of the album caught my attention:
Your tongue is a rudder
It steers the whole ship
Sends your words past your lips
Or keeps them safe behind your teeth
But the wrong words will strand you
Come off course while you sleep
Sweep your boat out to sea
Or dashed to bits on the reef
It's frankly frightening how much effect words can have, even before malice enters the equation. Those little words that I utter without much thought, they can so easily be misconstrued and the misunderstanding sprouts into ill will. I know I ought to be more careful with what I say. But sometimes things just come out, and as I hear them leave my mouth, my mind groans but it's already too late to stop the words. I often feel like smacking myself on the head after I've said things that don't accurately reflect what I mean but to be seen doing so would just make me feel even more incompetent. It's true that actions may speak louder than words, but words still pack quite a sting--even when the sting is totally unintentional.

No comments: