Friday, April 18, 2008

I played piano tonight. A real piano. One with 88 keys (and only one that was sticky). Of course, it wasn't anything amazing but it felt so good. I think it even felt right. I was fortunate enough to spend about 1 1/2 hours playing random violin/piano music with a friend. She was so much better than I was but I still enjoyed it. It was much needed stress relief.

Lately, I've taken to exercise as a way to try to relieve stress. I've just been so overwhelmed with school: the weight of the inordinate amount of work crushes my capacity to perform and I stall--neither achieving nor coming any closer to a conviction that I can achieve. As I run or lift, I'm left with plenty of time to ponder exactly such things. I think; I get frustrated; I get stressed. Rinse and repeat.

But playing piano gave me a break from these things. I was able to concentrate on something entirely unrelated, to caress those keys in the hope that, perhaps with just the right touch, I might actually make music. I hope to do this again some time soon. I'm pretty sure I need it.

No comments: