Saturday, September 18, 2004

After months and months of nothing but rejections, I finally have had something positive. However, it's the job that I was most ambivalent about applying for that gives me the offer. How frustrating is that?! The job is a Senior Technical Specialist position at the Red Cell Reference Lab at the Institute of Transfusion Medicine-LifeSource Blood Services in Glenview, IL. While it's something that I've wanted to do for the last five years or so, I never thought I'd have the opportunity to--and I never suspected that the opportunity would present itself at such a time. Ordinarily, I would have been thrilled with the opportunity and would have jumped on it without hesitation. But now as I reconsider the mindset with which I applied for the job, doubts set it. I originally applied for the job in the midst of my first batch of rejections from IS jobs. By then, I had come to expect rejection--one more, then, wouldn't be that hard to handle. But taking the job would mean forsaking the ostensible path forged by my education in the last two years. Solving this dilemma has been a struggle that has featured quite prominently in my mind: What is it that I really want to do with my life? Where are my past accomplishments leading me, and is that the right direction? These are some pretty serious questions question I struggle almost daily to answer. Here's one of those times I wish someone would just tell me what to do.

No comments: